(813) 876 6699  |  CONTACT US

$500 Minimum Order Required


You have no items in your shopping cart.

Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.

Door Terminology

Door Terminology

We have put this glossary together to help you as a consumer understand or recognize the terms you may come across trying to find the right door for you.

Below are definitions and descriptions for common components for doors, various terminology including installation terms, and door unit types as well.

Active Door: An active door, one half of a double door unit, is the main door which is hinged for easy operation, while the other half is primarily stationary.

Adjustable Threshold: Creates a customized fit or seal for different types of weather or humidity, adjusted up and down to ensure a tight seal with the door panel.

Alder Knotty Wood: Has a rustic southwest look, it is a hard wood that is light brown in color with slight pink undertones and has knots in the wood as well.

Annealed Glass: Glass which has not been heat strengthened or tempered. Annealed Glass is considered regular and is most common.

Astragal: Components that close the gap between a pair of doors, in order to prevent swing through. Components may overlap or meet along the center-line of the paired doors, and allow for locking and/or weatherstripping.

Bevel Of Door: The angle of a door's edge to the outer surface . A standard bevel is 3 degrees or 1/8” in 2.

Brick Molding -A molding used on an exterior door, typically applied to prehung units, put on the outside of the frame as a stop, or to hide brick, siding, stucco or concrete.

Bottom Rail- The bottom portion of the door.

Bypass Door: A door configuration, commonly used as a closet door. The unit has 2 doors which slide left and right on a track mounted in the top of the jamb.

Came,Caming: Metal stripping which is soldered at the joints, used between cut-glass pieces to assemble the pieces into a decorative glass panel. Cames are mostly made of lead, zinc, copper, brass or brass-capped lead.

Casing (trim): W ood paneling or m olding that surrounds the interior edge of a window or door frame. Used to cover the gap between the door frame and wall.

Cripple stud: Part of the rough door opening they are the vertical 2x4's that keep wall spacing and transfer support from wall top plate to the header.

Composite Panel: A door panel composed of a wood derivative such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard ).

Core: The innermost layer or center section in component construction of the door.

Distressing wood : A texturing technique which makes the wood to look old or worn.

Door-lite : An assembly of a frame and glass panel, or glass window . Many doors have more than one lite or lites.

Door Slab: Only the door, no jamb, hinges, threshold, or door hardware.

Door Stop: L imits the door's opening swing. It is part of the frame and the door rests on it when closed .

Door Unit - A door with a jamb, hinges, and is bored for door hardware. Exterior door units also include casing, brick molding, astragal and weather strips and is pre-hung.

Double Acting Door: Door which is hinged so that it can be opened both inward and outward.

Flush Bolt: A bolt used to on a non active door to keep it stationary. It is flush with the face or edge of the door when retracted.

French Door: a door with glass panes throughout its length.French door could be a pair or not.

Jamb: The vertical wood frame to which a door is hinged to create a door unit. It also allows the door to be installed into a wall.

Mortise & Tenon Joinery: A method of locking or joining/ bonding two pieces of wood together.

Mull Post: The post between the door and sidelite which is created by the door frame.

Multi-Point Locking System: This lock system which is generally 3 or 5 point system. It is controlled by levers in multiple places in the door panel and frame. Used for protection against high pressure winds caused by hurricanes and/or storms, as well as just added security for the entry way.

Panel: The part of the door which is raised above or sunk below the level of the rest of the door to create depth.

Pre -Hung: A full door unit with the door hinged, jamb, frame, sill and moulding.

Prefinished - Products that are stained and sealed at the factory or warehouse before distribution.

Rough Opening – An opening in the wall made by standard framing materials, sized around a pre-hung unit. This is usually 2" taller and 2" wider than the door unit size.

Sidelite: The side panels on either side of the door, they can be filled with glass or wood. Typically there are two, one on each side of the door, or there can be one on either side of the door.

Sill: The bottom or piece of a door. Also known as the threshold and usually come in aluminium or wood.

Stiles: The outer pieces or edges of a door. These and rails form the frame of the door slab.

Tempered Glass: Also known as safety glass, is treated by heating and cooling the glass so when broken it will crumble instead braking into shards.

Transom: A mounted piece of glass or wood which is above the door unit, the come in many different shapes and sizes. This is a decorative piece and some time comes with the door unit.

Trim: The covering over a doorjamb that gives the finished look. this is usually a strip of wood.

Weather Strip:A narrow strip that is flexible which surrounds the door to protect from moisture and air coming in when the door is closed.